About Me

My photo
i love poetry, politics, and people i would be better off staying away from.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm the New Julia Roberts


Something like that.
So, we're getting down to the wire on final assignments and exams for the semester.  So, what do I find myself doing?  Blogging.  Oh, the joys of procrastination.  I know I haven't been as active as I'd like to be on here (and as some of you would like me to be, which, for that I thank you), so I wanted to get another post in before the end of the year.  I don't do this nearly as much as I'd like to. 

However, the blog is "TheLifeOfLilJaney", and as you can imagine, it's a very busy life right now.  So many things are happening between school and speech and looking for a job and/or a sugar daddy (that's a whole other blog post, though), but if you think that's a lot, my diverse group of friends are going through their own busy lives; some in school, some new parents, some newly married or planning weddings, some pregnant, some applying to law school or med school, some house-hunting or fixing up their homes, etc. 
Here's the thing.  The other day I watched "My Best Friend's Wedding, a movie I used to hate equally for the non-happy ending and Cameron Diaz, and two things crossed my mind.  One:  Julia Roberts's character is only 27 and upset she's not married...I'm 29 and Two:  I could really use a drink...and a cigarette...and a husband. Yet, I didn't have any of those things.  I watched the end of the film and for probably the first time in my life, felt like Julia Roberts, or, more accurately, the character of Julianne 
Glad I've dodged this bullet as a single
woman in college.
Potter, standing around in a pretty dress, watching the love of my life's life happen while mine stayed stagnant.  Honestly, sometimes I feel jealous, or even get downright whiny about why things aren't happening in my life (and at the same time, I've also happy that I'm not going through some of these things). 

Right now, though, I'm going through some exciting things in my life, too.  Tomorrow, I teach my first lesson to a high school English class.  In December and January I get to help high school students work on their speech events.  I'm about two years away from doing what I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember; teaching English and coaching a speech team.

I know this isn't as exciting to read as some of my other posts, but I'm rather excited about moving forward in my life in any capacity.  I think many times we forget to celebrate in our successes and dwell on what we don't have or where we haven't been yet or what we haven't accomplished yet. Rather than do that today, (okay, for the rest of today anyway...or at least for a little while tonight) I'm going to simply move forward rather than sit
"But, Santa, I've been really good this year. . . . Or, I've
hidden being really bad."
down in the middle of the road and pout about it being too far or taking too long or whine about all the things I deserve (and I do deserve them) but don't have yet.  And, as the last line of "My Best Friend's Wedding" says, "Life goes on. Maybe there won't be marriage. Maybe there won't be sex. But, by God, there'll be dancing."  Feel free to join me on this road I travel on or on the dance floor (whichever metaphor you want to be a part of).  It's sure to be an adventure, no matter what pace I'm travelling or who I dance with.  Now, about that drink I wanted....


No comments:

Post a Comment