About Me

My photo
i love poetry, politics, and people i would be better off staying away from.

Monday, November 15, 2010

It's not you, it's me. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Part One.

So, a couple days ago I received two relationship updates from people I know.  One was a very exciting and wonderful piece of information:  one of my best friends had a date with a boy she liked.  I was so happy and excited for her.  I was equally excited when I got the follow up texts about how it went.  The other was a very annoying and frustrating bit of news:  another "friend" announced to me that she was getting married.  I played the "oh, congratulations.  I'm so happy for you" card rather well, I think.  No award winning performance, but I think I hid a look of disgust well enough to not let on how I really felt.  I find it slightly hilarious that I'm about to come clean to anyone who may read this, which may, in fact, be her. 

Why so bitter about the upcoming marriage, you ask?  Trust me.  It's not because I'm only two years away from the big Three-O with no hubby prospects and a fondness for cats.  No, I have many friends who have been engaged and married that I celebrated.  It's simply because I hate when people get what they don't deserve. 

My dear frienemy may not know how I feel about her, but the reason for all my animosity towards her is because she's been going out with this man of hers for about a year and a half, and in that year and a half, she's been completely unfaithful a number of times.  She's told me about messing around with guys.  She's made out with married men in public when she's away from her sweet, new fiance.  Etc., etc. She even had the metaphorical balls to compare her behavior with mine, even though I have been single when I've hooked up with guys, always fretted more than bragged, and was never messing around with three people or more in one night like she did this past summer. 

I have no real issues with my being single.  Sometimes it's great.  I don't have to okay something with another person.  I can hang out with my guy friends any time I want without making someone jealous.  I argue a lot less than if I would have a man around. 

I mean, it's not always the best slice of cake, being single.  There are some definite drawbacks, too.  Songs by Babyface and Keith Sweat when you're alone.  Working in the wholesale wedding invitation business.  (Most girls may have their dream day planned out.  I have three separate options for my eventual wedding, have a singer picked out, just missing the groom.) Waiting for Mr. Right.  Getting sucked into settling for Mr. Right Now. 

However, those aren't the reasons I was upset about this.  As I said, I'm angry that she gets this chance at happiness that she doesn't deserve.  I suppose the knife stings a bit harder since I'm not a cheating bitch, yet I've been boyfriend free for the past nine years, but the question remains, why do the bad get the goods?  That day was a pretty hard day for me. WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment